Monday, September 29, 2014

DESIGNING - Putting It Together (Part 3)

For me, this is the hardest part. I've decided on which yarn to use, picked out a stitch pattern and now what?? There are so many decisions to make at this point ....

What am I making? Cardigan, pullover, hat, cowl, scarf, shawl, ....

What design elements does it have? Collar, buttons, long sleeves, ribbed brim, v-neck, short, long, triangle, rectangle, ....

How do I knit it? In the round, back and forth, top-down, bottom-up, in pieces, ....

Where to place the stitch pattern?  At the hem, all over, up the front, on the back, in a triangle shape, ...

One thing that I find helps with the decision making is to draw out a few ideas on a piece of paper. For example, here's an idea for vest pattern I had. Drawing it on a body helps me decide how long to make it, the neck shaping I want, and if the stranded colorwork pattern looks ok (or not as the case may be).


The Tracing Real Body Models website has some great body shapes to use. Print out a couple and draw your ideas on the model. The visual usually inspires other ideas for me ...




Next week I'll talk about writing out the pattern. 

Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment